Monday, May 30, 2016

May 20th, 2016

Latest update! 2,588 km for 72 road days. After yesterday's 47km I wanted to continue my good progress, but alas! A late start today due to rain!
After eight km I stopped for breakfast and after only eight more it was another long stop. Just as I was leaving I met Mathias, a Swiss cyclist on his way to Mongolia and thanks to the Russian couple who snapped out photos! A little later I saw three big deers but before I could get my camera out they had gone. By that stage the rain was torrential but on I pushed and made it all the way to the turnoff for Rzhev, 32km away almost non-stop. Twice I was stopped by cops, on the first occasion it was just a welfare check and the second occasion that cop spoke good English and suggested I stop for the night at the cafe here at the intersection near Rzhev. So, today I clicked out with 49 km, it's 228 kilometres to Moscow. I don't like to "do calendars n clocks" but sometimes I have to factor in weekends and the time needed to do my errands like meet the Irish ambassador to Moscow and I also have a major interview with the BBC in their Moscow studio! More about that in a few days time.
I am 'half thinking' I will arrive in the capital on Thursday, and that would be a half-day. However, as I don't like to get out of bed for less than a marathon! And hate half-days and if I get just one big day; and I intend to! A 55+ and keep it steady around a marathon-45 km a day I will be aiming for late afternoon/Wednesday. Or a Wednesday evening arrival in Moscow.
As I get closer I will post better predictions. I welcome runners, walkers to come out and walk with me.
Thanks to Ivan who stopped to chat this morning. Sorry my battery was down, so no picture. Ivan said he read about my walk in the Russian media. If you are reading this Ivan I welcome your comment!
Please folks check back here to comments for my occasional update! Gotta walk, in the rain, I am singing, and walking the rain :)


 




 Additional Photo's...
 https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154319924369642&set=pcb.10154319928444642&type=3&theater

No comments:

Post a Comment