Sunday, May 1, 2016

 
Total distance Walked: 1,404 kilometres (circa 880 miles) for 44 road days on www.myworldwalk.com

Current location: 4km South-West of a village called Piece, Poland.

Thanks so much to Sarah Ames for sponsoring a couple of days of my world walk!
I apologise if this latest report sounds a bit jaded, it is, just like me tonight!
After saying goodbye to my hosts Wladyslaw and Jadwiga Naranowicz in Szweja I was off walking along route 22.
Rain and drizzle along with frequent warm spells of sunshine had me stopping to add and then take off clothing for much of my 46km as far as Cierznie; a small village of 600 souls. On a whim I decided to stop at a house which had a large piece of adjoining land. I asked if I could camp there, instead I was whisked over to a garden table where the family were having some drinks and a bar-b-q. Some great rock music playing on their radio and once again I was to experience more great Polish hospitality! Darius and his friend Sebastian had just made the ten-hour drive from Denmark where they work in the construction sector. He had come home for the weekend to see his parents Jan and Maria and his girlfriend Veronika. I felt guilty I was intruding on their quality time! But I was assured I was not and they were interested in my walk. Then I was told they would ' fix a bed for me!'
I asked Darius what he thought of the recent plea by the Polish deputy Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki who said it would be "a great day for Poland" if all those living abroad came home.
The minister claimed that current Polish wages are 70% of the EU level and life is good.
As far a Darius was concerned that was rubbish, the stuff of Hollywood fiction I was told! That village had twenty five people working abroad and none intended on returning.
Poland a country of 38 million has had a troubled past and has suffered at the hands of foreign oppressors for most of it's existence. Half the countries Jewish population were exterminated during World War Two after which it was taken over by the Soviets. Since joining the EU in 2004 the country has experienced a boom and was the only European country which experienced economic growth during the global financial crash of the last decade. Polish workers continue to move around Europe with 122,000 Polish workers currently working in Ireland, far more than any other nationality, Polish is almost the second language in Ireland!
There is an influx which many people do not realise, as Poland has taken in a huge number of refugees from the Ukraine, Europe's forgotten war. In addition the Government has also pledged to take in 7,000 Syrian asylum seekers this year. However, after one week walking in the country I have not seen one single Muslim.
Next day was a beautiful day in which I paced out 45 glorious kilometres as far as the Shell truck stop in Jeziorki. I had eyed a covered picnic area at the side in which to pitch my tent. Beside this area there was actually a mini zoo which included Llamas as my bedtime next door neighbours! Outside the truck stop I was sipping a bottle of non-alcohol beer while sorting my gear. Adam the assistant manager, though not an English speaker made it obvious that the restaurant was at my disposal, so I ordered a bowl of beef stew.
In the morning a different manager called Tomas fussed over me and took some photos of me to add to their Facebook collection of 'Happy People' who are their customers!
Just then a huge gang of children (later I was told 53) arrived In the restaurant as it seemed their bus for their school trip had broken down! Just as I was finishing my own breakfast I got talking to one of the teachers and offered to give them a few words of encouragement and motivation with a difference as the teacher translated my words to the children. After which the children asked questions of my global walk and I signed dozens of autographs!! I swear there was more than 53! I believe it's my duty to speak to young people like this whenever the occasion arises, I was severely delayed, but that was not important. I spoke about self belief and under no circumstances should children let others tell them otherwise, each child is unique, a champion. And ended by mentioning that if they ever have any problems, not to be afraid to speak to a teacher. Before I left I was asked my age and when I told them my birthday is in two days time on April 20th; I got a lovely rendition of Happy Birthday in Polish! I swear that brought tears to my eyes!
Eventually at 11.35 a.m. I got going and made it to another restaurant 37km down the road. However, this time they were locking up for the night but just like the previous night I was allowed to pitch my tent inside a sheltered picnic area.
LikeShow more reactions
Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment