Sunday, May 8, 2016

May 7th, 2016
 I just crossed into Latvia and after a hot dusty morning I am in search of a shave. So far, I have finished walking across England, Holland, Gemany, Poland, Lithuania. Latvia is my sixth countr.

Although, I made a start on Russia when I completed my walk across Kaliningrad state. The latter is a little known treasure which got cut off from mainland Russia when Latvia and Lithuania got their independence. Being the main Russian port, also their naval base and the only Russian port that doesn't freeze in the winter it was of vital strategic importance to Russia. No way were they going to relinquish it. So, the anomaly of all that is the Kaliningrad part of Russia is completely surrounded by the European Union, and still very few people are aware of it!
Now for another former USSR republic, Latvia. I expect to be here for only a few days and plan to cross to Russia on Tuesday evening, or Wednesday. Ps my Russian route is as far as Khyagat, about 6,000km or half way across the country. From there it is exactly 1,000 km South through Mongolia as far as China! Hope you can stay for the fun!


 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment