Sunday, August 12, 2018

My world walk Thailand 12 - 24,000 kilometres walked


Another day I walked 39 kilometres and once again most of that was on glorious backroads. In the process, I clocked up km 24,000 just after a village called Ban Hua Fai. The two previous days I walked 29km back-to-back days. 
   I continue to hand out my cancer awareness cards. My message is printed on them that: Life is precious and early cancer screening saves lives. These people may not understand what's written on the card. But I'm hoping that curiosity will get the better of them and they will google my walk. Thailand, unfortunately, doesn't seem to have a cancer screening program and many people can't afford doctors visits. As you can see that unlike ozone depleted New Zealand and Australia that most people cover up,
 I was helped greatly by a man called Max. He brought me to a Buddhist temple and I was allowed to pitch my tent in a sheltered area. Max, aka Puttipong Samranbamrung, is a Liverpool fanatic, so much so that he called his baby daughter Anfield 😂 I laughed and said that I was glad that he wasn't a Manchester United supporter at Old Trafford is not a pretty name 😃
As long as I can remember Thailand, a country with a population of 69 million have been serious fanatical supporters of the Merseyside club. This season, due to much-improved form and continuing on from last year, and with a  manager that knows what he is doing and some key signings many LFC supporters are feeling especially optimistic of claiming the elusive championship 😅
Earlier Max told that the village had clothes and money collection for the Laos flood victims of last week. This part of Thailand is culturally close to Laos and along with parts of Khymer (now Cambodia) it was once all the one kingdom. I'm told that a Laotian dialect is understood by all.
Before leaving the temple I had breakfast with some local people. There were new many monks there who had just arrived. I'm told that Buddhist males should serve two three-month terms in a monastery during their lives. Usually around age fourteen and again in their early twenties. Also after a time of distress. Some of you may have picked up on the Thai boys who were rescued from the cave were preparing for a term after their horrific ordeal. All of them, except for a Christian boy is currently serving time in a Buddhist monastery.

That was the second morning in a row that I had a breakfast invite as the previous morning when walking through a village I was stopped by people who were having a kind of awake. A 79-year-old woman had just died and they were celebrating her life. Scaffolding which held up large tents was being dismantled.
Tonight, Tuesday I am once again camping under a shelter in a Buddhist temple in a village called Ban Kham. I have in the region of 225 kilometres to Laos. I will be there in about a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment