Sunday, August 12, 2018

My world walk blog - Thailand - 5

 

I've reached 23,698 myworldwalk.com kilometres for 676 road days. Thursday was not a pretty day. So uninspiring and unlike my previous days in Thailand. I walked 25 kilometres in the wide shoulder and along the busy and ugly route one. Once again for much of the day, I was walking through construction zones. A sign said it was a water rerouting project. The only real memory was a sad one. Right at the edge of the road, I picked up an injured bird. The poor thing was terrified and weak. I lifted it up and put it beside a grassy pool of water. Unfortunately, I never thought to shake out some of my oatmeal flakes, shame on me. I was heartened by the poor things fight to get away from me. Hopefully, it had enough strength to recover, that is if a predator doesn't get there first.
I stopped for a break just before the small spread out city of Saraburi and checked my Bookings.com app for a cheap hotel. There was one for ten Euro which was way off my route, and another for fifteen that was about a kilometre off. That would do. I booked it as it had wheelchair access and a room available on the ground floor. I was thinking of Karma, my cart and I can push her into my room. That way there would be no messing around looking for a place and needing help up steps and flights of stairs. Hotels are hard to spot and I haven't seen a single hotel sign in English since leaving Bangkok. My eyes are slowly adjusting to words like 'hotel' in Thai as I typed that into my google translate and saved the screenshot to compare to roadside signage. With a bookings app, it cut out the messing around and looking for a place. This way I not only knew where I was going but I knew what I was getting. And free wifi too!
I don't normally give a shout out to companies that don't sponsor me, but I know a lot of fellow adventurers follow me and often message me for hints and tips, so that's one.
I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived at the  Grand Charoonrat Apartment and got a beautiful welcome from the staff. It was clean, modern and a bit posh. I reckon it would have cost a hundred Euro in many other countries, for me €15.. All the coffee I wanted to drink was included and there is a refrigerator of drinks at prices that I know many readers would gasp at especially John R. Savoy 😂 A little over a Euro for a 310 ml can of Heineken and a 620 ml bottle of Thai beer clocks in at €2.50, about three dollars!
I took a rest day and enjoyed goofing around and even got some extra pockets for my phone and passport stitched into my high-viz vest.
Then I checked out the bookings site again and saw that there is a backpackers hostel called At Home Hostel which costs about €8 a night with breakfast included in Pak Chong, about 62 kilometres away. So that's where I'm booked for Sunday night!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment