Sunday, August 26, 2018

My world walk blog - Laos 3


Another day I walked 32-kilometres and it threatened to rain all day, but it didn't. It ended up being slightly overcast and was pretty much ideal walking conditions. Near Nongkeun and a half-hour before dusk, I got to a remote restaurant with a long covered deck which must be over 100-metres long. Should I push on and look for somewhere to stay? Unsurprisingly my tummy won out and I figured there was a decent chance that I would be allowed to camp there.
After I finished my dinner the owner whose name sounds like Ham Pie said that I could pitch my pop-up tent on a large bed/table. That was a stroke of luck as just then the weather which kindly held out for me broke, it rained torrentially, and lasted all night long.
I wanted to sing, so I grabbed a pen and soon it was my microphone. I pretended I understood the Lao karaoke script! 😂
Then a microphone was tossed in my direction and I have no idea what kind of crap was coming out of my mouth 😂 Hey, Lao rock stars make some great music. And as we know music is the language that everyone understands and we are having great fun. I miss live music so much 😓
Just as I was getting ready to go the waitress pulls up a picture of me from my world walk page and I have no idea how she knew as I never said anything about it! 
Oh and that day I walked 31-kilometres to get to near Pakxan and the Suvanthong guesthouse. After a scrub up I plunked myself in the adjoining karaoke bar. Most of that day's effort was in the rain. Six-Euro a night which was discounted to five, I planned a rest day the following day as I had a big chaffing issue going on. I needed to find a big tin of Vaseline. This always happens to me with serious humidity. 
My Vietnam E-visa was being processed at that moment. I applied only that night and there is a Vietnamese holiday weekend coming up, but I should still be okay. I had to download a selfie passport photo, so the process was interrupted for a shower, a shave and a change of clothes!
 I planned to cross at Cau Treo border post on the 27th August. That was about 225-kilometres away. It's a 30-day visa, so that will be a nice ramble on up to Mong Kai and cross into the Peoples Republic. Slow boot to China, part-two, a further 625-kilometres away. Last time I walked through the middle of.China. From Mongolia to Vietnam. This time I will meet up with my old route and continue on towards Macau, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea and Japan.
Earlier that day, I walked down to the Indochina market. I sat down for a chat and ate a sandwich and drank a coffee at a stall where a camera-shy woman told me that she is married to a Canadian man. They met twenty-five years ago and have three children aged 21, 17 and 6-years old. He is in Canada now and she prefers to sell snacks here at the side of the road rather  than to battle cold Canadian winters.

No comments:

Post a Comment