Sunday, August 12, 2018

My world walk blog - Thailand 10 - Flood disaster in Laos



Another 33-kilometres took me to a village called Ban Huai Sai. Just as I was thinking of finishing up a man called Thong stooped me to offer me bananas. Then I asked him if I could set my tent up beside his house. A few minutes later his daughter Jen came along. We are settling down to a Google Translate chat. Language should never be a problem.
Just then I check the news on my phone and I was horrified to learn about a major flooding disaster in Laos that day. It seems that due to persistent heavy rains that a dam which was under construction collapsed. Laos had been busy working away at trying to harvest new sources of renewable energy power and was aiming to be known as 'the battery of Asia.' Now that massive project has been put on hold. It seems that new cracks were discovered in the dam walls over the previous weekend. The Thai government did what it could possibly do and many rescue groups later praised them in their gallant efforts Even still, unfortunately, scores were killed. 
My heart goes out to these people in Laos. I have no doubt the villages are similar to the ones I'm currently walking through in Thailand and the people are just like the people I'm now meeting in Thailand. Simple, humble, fun-loving, decent and hardworking. They didn't deserve this. May God help you.
I will be in Laos in two weeks time but much further north.

No comments:

Post a Comment