Sunday, August 26, 2018

My world walk blog - Laos 1


I crossed into Laos on a thirty-day  US$35 visa on arrival. So, I have plenty of time to walk across the country. I was in no rush as it was pretty hot at that time. Time to play the clock down and hopefully towards a cooler September. I planned to walk from west to east and cross into Vietnam which is 368 kilometres away. 
Vietnam offers an e-visa, meaning I just apply online and get a confirmation by email three-days later. I present this at the border and my passport is stamped. However, on the Vietnamese e-visa application form, they ask for my proposed entry date, which I didn't know then. If I arrived after my proposed date that would it be days off my 30-day visa and I didn't want to lose any of my thirty-days as Vietnam will be circa 650 kilometres. That's almost identical to my route across Thailand and I had to keep an eye on the clock there. Currently, I'm walking about 200 kilometres a week. I can walk much more if need be, but why bother! 
Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud. Normally, I have to plan two or three countries ahead. 
Thanks to Tina King-Garde and Scott Richards who normally update this Myworldwalk Facebook page and also to Scott who updates the myworldwalk.com website.

So Vientiane with a population of around 900,000 is the capital and the largest city of Laos, on the banks of the Mekong Vientiane the border with Thailand. Vientiane became the capital in 1563 due to fears of a Burmese invasion but was later looted then razed to the ground in 1827 by the Siamese. Vientiane was the administrative capital during French rule and, due to economic growth in recent times, is now the economic centre of Laos.
That first night I made it to a backpackers hostel and stayed for four nights. I had a problem with my atm card as my bank had issued me another one six months prematurely. I was grateful to my sister Ann who sent it by DHL courier and it arrived here in the hostel in less than 48-hours. One of my biggest advice to people who want to do stuff like I'm doing is to get as many bank cards as possible and to put a trusted family member or friends name on your account so as they can deal with any hassles. I would be lost without my dear sister 😂

That Monday after a late start I walked 24-kilometres out of the capital and I found a cheap hotel in Ban Khoksivilai village and stopped a bit early. It was back to work for me after my three day holiday weekend!
Nothing strange that day, just another bog-standard day, Oh! I did see a lime-green and grey snake that was over a metre long. 


No comments:

Post a Comment