Thursday, January 24, 2019

My world walk blog - Taiwan #9

My world walk blog - Taiwan #9

I walked 26 kilometres today from Quiet Backpackers hostel in Tainan City to Gangshan train station. Then I took a train back to the hostel and to Chen's nightly exotic fruit party 😂
 The next day Icommuted back to exact spot I finished at on my route that day. Because I did that it meant I didn't have to walk with my backpack. The commute was a no-brainer as the journey took only forty minutes and cost about a Euro each way! I also did the same thing the next day, Monday when I returned to my route in southern Taiwan. To do that I took the train from Tainan to Gangshan train station. Then I had a nice leisurely 22 km walk to Jiuqutang train station.
Some of it was on quiet roads. One of which was closed but I skipped around the barriers and walked on. I pretty much had the road to myself. I walked past pineapple fields which at times were so vast that they stretched out to the side of the road. In that hour I also walked past about five Buddhist temples and another one which was under construction. I was puzzled by this, why so many and in a low populated area. Later it was suggested to me that each temple could be devoted to a different God and the construction of these temples are often funded by rich people who pay into a community foundation. For what it is worth and I have no easy way to confirm this it was also mentioned to me that these people are often so 'filthy rich' are saddled with so much money that they and are in a 'use it or lose it' situation with their money! How sad, lol 😂
As I was having so much fun in the Quiet backpacker's hostel in Tainan I returned for another night. That was my second day in which I commuted there and as mentioned before the beauty of that was I didn't have to lump my backpack or have to find a place to sleep. Had there been places to sleep they probably would have been prohibitively expensive anyway.
  As always Chen, the wonderful owner of the hostel had his nightly fruit and chat party with the other backpackers which I thoroughly enjoyed. The next night was my fifth and final night there and for three of those days he kindly gave me a 25% discount. Thank you, Chen! 😂
Tuesday, 8th Jan I chilled out for yet another day of leisure and even did a rare tourist meander around town when I visited the Confucious temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment