Thursday, January 24, 2019

My world walk blog. Taiwan #3. Christmas Day and walking with the ex-bishop

My world walk blog. Taiwan #3. Christmas Day and walking with the ex-bishop

Christmas Eve, I passed and nearly stood on a pointed-scaled pit viper snake on the road. I was told that it is one of the six most deadly snakes in Taiwan and it had blended into the gravel and was well camouflaged. 
I walked over a long bridge and towards the traffic which was unrelenting. For about two kilometres I had scooters whizzing last me and all travelling closely. It was dark and the only protection I had was my red flashing light. Thankfully nobody lost concentration and I didn't cause a crash.
Later that Christmas Eve evening I was walking past a church as their Christmas service was ending. I got nabbed by a priest called Fr Jimmy Liu who had just returned from the Camino walk. He said he was boasting about his 800 kms there and then in I walked as they were finishing their service and the priest was bringing the congregation inside for snacks. I was grateful for a bed in their convent which was next door to the church.

I would have loved to have attended Christmas service the following morning but at 6 am I stayed in bed!  A couple of hours later I had breakfast with Father Liu. He informed me he was previously a bishop and got tired of living in the fast lane. Now he is a parish priest working in a small community and helps run a special needs school for local children of which about one-third are Catholic.  While he showed me his newspaper article of his recent Camino walk in Spain I opened my Christmas cards from my sister Ann, bother in law John, nephews Gary and Mark and niece Serena and her partner Ed. Thanks, everyone I love you all. 😂
Before I left we visited his church and I was put on yet another prayer list which must be as long as the Yellow River at this stage 😂

The ex-bishop told me that I was the best ever Christmas present as when we walked six kilometres I brought him on some unknown roads. Don't thank me, thank Mr Google! He said he will do more walking now and in the future. We stopped at his friend's house and next thing I was eating a Christmas lunch of delicious dumplings, pork, rice, vegetables and tofu. Then I walked on alone and along some pretty mountainous country roads before stopping for another snack at a store where the nice lady gave me a wifi signal to send out some Christmas messages. She also offered me lunch, thanks but no thanks! So many messages that I haven't been able to respond. It's so nice to know I'm so loved out there. Thanks, folks for all of your love and support and I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas Day. That night I stopped at a 7-11 store for a snack. I was going to sleep under a sheltered area next door. Upon asking permission from a neighbouring restaurant owner I was brought back to the 7-11 and offered a floor space in a corner beside their Christmas tree. When I awoke I discovered that the staff had taken the tree down and I hadn't heard them!

No comments:

Post a Comment