Sunday, August 27, 2017

This day nine years ago I took back my 48 hour treadmill world record from a Canadian/ Sri Lankan cheat ðŸ˜€
I first set the record in 2003. Then he 'broke' it by cheating. I was fortunate to get this evidence and when Guinness World Records didn't disqualify him, that's the day I lost respect for an overrated entertainment manual. GWR likes to give the impression that they have a patent on records! 
I owe my successful 'reattempt' to my great crewman Alan Young who one fateful day asked me if I had any competitive ultra running ambitions left. 
Yes Alan, I have unfinished business. I want to get this record back. Not only for myself but our sport." A cheater must never achieve. 
My wonderful crewman Alan lives in Scotland and he came to Dublin a couple of times to help me set up my attempt. The end of August fitted in nicely into my race calendar. We approached Liam Fenelon, Husband of Mary Fenelonabout making the attempt at the Longford marathon expo! The Fenelons and 'Big Tom' couldn't have been more enthusiastic. For that I will be eternally grateful. ðŸ˜€
So, Aug 22-24th 2008 we pulled it off and later had it confirmed by GWR! A few weeks prior to this I got injured in my preparations but managed to run through the pain barrier. A picture of the cheat which was taped to my treadmill kept me going through some pretty low moments.
Thankfully I managed to succeed! I have always said that that record was one for sport ðŸ‘£ðŸ‘£There have been quite a few attempts at breaking it! But I still have it and I'll be the first to shake the hand of an honest record-breaking runner😀 
Thanks to everyone that helped. Esp great crew people Alan Young, assistants John and Mark Salmon ðŸ˜€ and the Fenelons! 
Sorry I don't have any photos of that attempt ðŸ˜‚ Do you Alan? 
Pictures here 1: Alan Young, a great, selfless and humble servant to our sport. 2 and 3: Ditto for Liam Fenelon, Longford Marathon race director. He is also a prolific marathon runner who recently celebrated his 75 birthday ðŸ˜€ðŸŽ‚
LikeShow more reactions
Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment