Wednesday, February 15, 2017



Date: 14 January 2017 at 16:00:22 GMT+8
To: Tony Mangan <theworldjog@gmail.com>
Subject: World walk blog China 8


A quick update! Tuesday I walked through a scary tunnel which was about 300 metres long. Tunnels are always a bit worrisome not only for the danger but the fear of being pulled off the road by the cops. Please see an interesting post on my world run website www.theworldjog.com/blog archive Jan or Feb 2012 where I was not allowed to walk through a 4,5km tunnel in Colombia. To cut a long story short I went over the mountains and got lost for over 24 hours! That was before I had a smart phone gps. In the en it was a great adventure. Later I was to discover that due to Farc guerrilla activity that this area was amongst the worlds most land-mined areas.
Anyway back to the walk! That day Tuesday I finished early at 29km as it was mountainous and too dangerous to continue in the evening. I stopped at a shop and while asking if I could camp outside a man called Wang said I could sleep at his house across the road. Next day another 29 followed by a long, long steady 51 km business-like day. Those last two nights I befriended the staff at SinoPec petrol stations and was allowed to sleep. Friday I made it to a town and found a comfortable hotel where thankfully, I was able to have a long hot shower and wash my clothes. Does anyone ever wash their clothes in the shower?! When a hotel doesn't have a laundry service and it's a clean place I do! I just stomp on my clothes which have lashings of shampoo! Sorry for the rush! Gotta walk on! Current location as per the arrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment