Saturday, September 17, 2016

Tips for a budget traveller!

Saturday, 10th September I walked 47km and finished at 2.30am at the turnoff for Llansky. About 20 Kms east of Kahck; at Km post 1,036 on route P-255. Friday 44km, and Thursday 48. Tonight I am camping at the Drive cafe/gas station. A lot of fun today, including my haircut and some nice people in a grocery store who insisted on giving me fruit, bread and biscuits! Thanks for a memorable day. Thanks also to Amanda Young for her incredibly kind sponsorship of a few days on the road! Amanda pressed the PayPal link on www.myworldwalk.com
Here is a tip for any budget traveller! When you go into a gas station that has a microwave. Just buy a litre of milk and ask them to heat it up in your own container! They never refuse! And just add your own coffee, a litre of cafe latte for a fraction of the cost! One small coffee is never enough for me! Just do the math on how much one coffee per day is over three or four years on the road, and that's just one!
When you are doing something mad like running or walking around the world, people oblige to such odd-bod requests, so play the card! In America I often bought convenience meals in stores that have microwaves, likewise, they always stick it in. Having a small Tupperware dish is a must, also useful for food I can't finish and sometimes I buy pasta etc for the road in cafes. Of course, I could always cook it myself, but then think about all the people encounters I would miss; and the spreading of my message would be thinner. Anytime I enter a building the first thing I am looking for is a wall socket, I know all the hiding places, I just follow the cables!



Today, a woman called Victoria told me my cancer awareness message is very depressing. Sorry, here it is again: Life is precious. Early cancer screening saves lives.
The days are getting shorter, it's now dark at 7.45pm


No comments:

Post a Comment