Monday, September 5, 2016

July 11th, 2016

Thanks to Leonid, the bearded one for taking these photos! Also thanks to Sergey Komelkov for great support and to Leonid's family for a very nice rest day which included preparation for my march towards Siberia and a trip to a lake and a look around their farmyard. I stayed with Leonoid last October after I was invited to a nearby marathon. He and Sergey are noted ultra runners, and Sergey completed the recent Sri Chiminoy ten day race in New York with great distinction :) Imagine running for ten days, nut case :)
Total world walk distance is 4,561 km for 117 road days. It took six weeks to walk from Moscow which is over 1,800 kilometres away. I arrived as planned despite three unscheduled rest days. Thanks to Avril Conroy for some amazing support work and also to Sean Nolan for helping to locate some neoprene socks and a compass which I will need for Mongolia. I misplaced these items, so having people like this to go the extra mile when I run into problems can make the difference between success and failure of any expedition :) Thanks also to my nephew Mark Salmon for picking up an Iphone for me in Dublin recently. Avril's husband Nino just happened to be in Dublin on business and kindly brought it back to Moscow where he and Avril have been living for over 20 years. Thanks also to Chris Meier who sent on my winter gear from Holland when I was there and to to Sergey Komelkov for accepting it in Chelyabinsk. At that time I didnt have another address further east and thanks to Avril who has sourced an office in Irkutk. Avril will arrange for delivery from Leonid's house on Wednesday to her companies branch office. I am a great believer in using the mail system to keep myself stocked up, yet not breaking my back pushing it! Thanks everyone for a great team job. I hope my brother Brian Mangan enjoyed his birthday yesterday! By the look of his new profile picture, he probably demolished his birthday cake in one go!
PS Lorcan Byrne very diplomatically tells me that I have already advanced more across Russia than the Nazis. Didnt they make the same mistake as Napolean, they invaded in the winter? I make better progress using the mail system with the help of many great friends, spacibo :) Please check out my website from time to time and thanks to Scott Richards for updating www.myworldwalk.com


See more pic here   https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154457637174642&set=pcb.10154457658139642&type=3&theater


No comments:

Post a Comment