Friday, June 10, 2016


May 31st, 2016


I had a couple of low distance days after leaving Moscow. Sunday 34km and yesterday 28. I had an invitation to stay with Valerie Sharonov who many years ago got into the Guinness book of records for a cycle around the circumference of the old USSR. Please see the map on the photo he is holding. He has also cycled much in Europe and plans a world cycle. Valerie managed to commute me to his home on Sunday night. It was funny because I thought I was communication with him when in fact it was his friend Valentina who was sending the emails. I had an image of a thirty-something middle-class man driving an SUV. It was an much older man who couldn't speak English! When he turned up with his friend in a two-ton truck; seriously I was wondering if I was being kidnapped! He asked me to take a rest day, and in cases where I don't want to but would like to stay another night I usually try to make a commute, a great compromise. As the truck was not available, Valerie then had to find another friend to pick me up after Mondays walk from km 34 to 62; so I decided to make it short and easy! Thanks Valerie, the three drivers and Valentine for your great help! Terry Potoczny who does he remind you of!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment