Friday, June 10, 2016

June 9th, 2016

Thursdays reward at the end of play was 50k into my log book. Total for 89 road days is now 3,346km. Apologies to my American readers that I didn't realise I passed the 2,000 mile mark a couple of days ago!

Though the rain had stopped the traffic continued to be endless for I walked mostly on the gravel for ten hours in which I made only one 70 minute break which I took at 18 km into my day. However, there was some respite when the road became four lane for about 20km. Around the 30k mark I was feeling low in energy for not am I only drinking a little but I am also eating very little on the road. Just then a friendly Russian cyclist called Anton came along. He was on a ten day trip. He spoke enough English to have a basic conversation which include an interview from me which he said he would put up online. It's amazing how the mind reacts because as I mentioned I was having an energy crisis and then when Anton got me talking about ultra running competition and asked about coping strategies, from that moment on I had a surge of energy for the next 20 km to my finish. He cycled on as unfortunately there was no cafe, I regret I did not take his photo.
That night I camped at the side of a restaurant and after a quick cup of coffee an some biscuits in my tent I departed at 9:30. I often waste an hour over breakfast and prefer to make a stop later as that hour can be a proper break. That's what I did this morning. After a chat to a woman who was selling fancy packaged fruit I stopped after 12km at a bus shelter in this unpronounceable village, please see photo. Just after I set up my table with porridge, coffee, juice and biscuits Vladimir cycled by for a chat.
As mentioned in last post (which many people wrongly seemed to misinterpret for unfriendliness) Vladimir talked on at length even though I had no idea what he was talking about, this to my extensive experience is unusual, I find the Russians to be very friendly and we usually have a laugh with my google translations! However, my most used word is 'Princessa' as I call every woman I meet or who serves me a princess, their smile, especially from the elderly women is priceless. Occasionally they look at their partner as if to say.... " How come you never call me that? And takes a rambling Irishman to respect me!"








No comments:

Post a Comment