Saturday, March 3, 2018

My world walk blog Australia 42


 The Eye.

30 glorious kilometres today, that equalled yesterdays total. Late yesterday afternoon for about eleven kilometres I was following a roughshod gravel backroad which ran parallel to Route 2. Darkness was rapidly descending and at a junction on Mckenzie Road, I had an option to go back to the highway or to go forward for another few kilometres on a battered dry mud-caked road. To be honest I didn't fancy either option. Ah! What to do? Well, I took out my little stool, sat down and had a big drink of tea from my thermos and ate a few squares of chocolate. Just then a car pulled up and a man called Scott asked if I was okay. I was sitting at the entrance to his farm. I asked to camp and he said I could do so on his lawn. Later he kindly brought me out a Chinese takeaway dinner and refilled my two-litre thermos. He apologises for not being able to offer a room as the house was full of friends over for the night.
Back on the road and walking through the so-called Darling Downs, a rural farming area, I shot my third lot of videos for The Eye. They are a Galway-based magazine, who as I mentioned before they want to chronicle my walk. Please see their Facebook page, like it. Then check out my two previous video and info posts and of course like them too 😂Please check back regularly for my weekly posts and other interesting articles. 
On the road today, many people stopped to offer me water, fruit, sandwiches, Coke, flavoured milk... and even carrots which I added to my savoury rice tonight. At a rest stop in Jondaryan Park, I met a man called Luke who was taking a group of First Nation boys home from a camping trip. He is a coordinator for the Clontarf Foundation and their motto is: From little things, big thing grow. I was delighted when he asked me to say a few words to the children but we decided it wouldn't be appropriate for me to take photos. I walked on some more kilometres as far as a truck stop at Bowenville but instead of going inside I sat under a shady tree and ate some noodles and drank tea. It was 27 kilometres to Dalby and once again a gravel road ran parallel to the highway, so I took it and walked for another two hours. Freight train drivers hoot their horns to welcome me as I walked along for they have gotten used to seeing me. I'm sure they are curious to know what I'm up to.
Tonight I'm camped on an abandoned farm. I cooked my dinner, washed it down with Coke, flavoured milk and tea. C'est la vie!
Tomorrow, Saturday I plan an easy 17 km to the town of  Dalby. Many thanks to Michael O'Shea, owner of O'Shea's Windsor Hotel in Dalby for his kind offer of a nights accommodation. I'm told he is an Aussie, but with a name, like that, we can make an educated guess as to his heritage! Thanks to Jason Cowden,  the man from County Down who I met on Wednesday. Michael is his mate and Jason gave him the 'heads up' 😀🇮🇪

No comments:

Post a Comment