Saturday, March 3, 2018

My world walk blog Australia 43 

Many thanks to O'Shea's Windsor Hotel in Dalby, Queensland!

Settling down to sleep beside a deserted farmhouse took a bit of time. It seemed more like a haunted house as a loose panel banged loudly, even in moderate wind. I eventually got used to it. At least I was about five hundred metres away from the freight train line. The house was also well off the road. I noticed a broken gate and a lack of a mailbox which indicated it was probably uninhabited and a safe place to camp.
Next day, I had an invitation to stay at O'Shea's Windsor Hotel in Dalby. So I made an early start and was off walking at 7:30 am. It would almost seem like a rest day if I could finish around noon, and despite my usual leisurely stops, it was do-able. That slightly overcast but warm morning my destination was 17 kilometres further on down the Blaxland gravel road. It was to be yet another most enjoyable stroll. With little or no traffic on the road, I even got to listen to some rambling radio. I was walking with a clip in my step through meandering flatlands, almost prairie-like except for many clusters of trees. This area, the Darling Dales has an abundance of cotton, wheat and sorghum.
I saw a grain silo which I estimated to be no more than ten minutes up the road. I eventually reached it an hour later. Sometimes distance can be difficult to judge.
My throat was becoming dry, I was low on water and I had been wishing for a bit more. Just then a family moving house with three loaded-up vehicles stopped for a chat and then I had my welcome offer of delicious cold water. An hour later on their return journey, they kindly gave me a bacon and egg muffin I sat down to eat it and pour myself a coffee from my thermos at the entrance to a house as I wanted to get away from the gravel dust. After I packed up and left an elderly man who lived at that house drove a kilometre down the road to see if I was ok. Further on a reporter for a local newspaper stopped me for a roadside interview. He asked one question "Why?" I gave a rambling answer and spoke into his recorder for ten minutes straight with everything he needed to know! There was no sign of him interjecting, so on and on I went. I spoke about my cancer awareness message, my background, wonderful people and even how many pairs of shoes I have worn out etc.
   After Western Australia, Queensland state is Australias second largest. With a population similar to Irelands 4.6 million and 1.7 million sq kilometres in area, its roughly five times the size of Japan, seven times the UK and two and a half times larger than Texas. By that stage, I was on the environs of Dalby and walking on tarmac. I was told Dalby is home to some 13,000 people. It sure didn't seem like that to me. The town is named after a village of the same name in the Isle of Man and reflects immigration from there in the mid-19th century.
Arriving at O'Shea's Windsor Hotel and bar I was disappointed to find that Michael Oshea,
the owner was out of town. However, I was made to feel most welcome by Colin his manager and the other staff. I had a leisurely afternoon sorting my baggage and washing clothes.
For dinner, I was treated to a delicious rump steak covered in succulent garlic shrimps, salad and chips 😂 As I type there is a  decent foot-stomping live music session is going on. Live music, one of the things I miss so much on my global wanderings.

No comments:

Post a Comment