Saturday, March 10, 2018

My world walk blog Australia 46


 Shafted!
I walked 26 km today, mostly in drizzle. After Shie returned me to the Warradina Cafe I picked Karma, my cart up and headed east on the Warrego highway. Chinchilla, a small town was 37 km away. Heavy rain was forecast but I wasn't going to kill myself trying to make it before six o clock when light begins to fade. If I make it, I make it.

Further on up the road I snapped a front wheel axle. Not really a problem as they are light weight, cheap and I have three spares. It's a five minute job. I'm just a little concerned about my cart as the left stay that secures the front wheel is about an inch higher than the right stay. This is because of a slight chassis deformity. Because of this the front wheel is not turning totally true. I wondered if this was the reason the light-weight shaft snapped. It is spring loaded, quick release and about 2mm thick and with the wobble it wasn't strong enough due to friction inside the main shaft. If that's the case it could happen again and again. Time will tell. I don't really want to go messing with trying to straighten out the chassis in case I snap it. One possible solution would be to get a new non-quick release wheel. It's a childs bichcle size 16 inch and those wheels have wider shafts than mine and  wouldn't snap. And then I could just bolt it on. 

After about 18 kilometres I walked into the Brigalow General Store and Cafe and ordered chicken and chips for $10.50. That turned into a lengthy stop as I had emails to answer including a journalist from a local newspaper in Chinchilla who wants to do an interview when I arrive. I was able to work while charging up my phone even though the socket was a bit far away. Tip to would-be travellers: Get a lightweight extension lead. It is also useful when wanting work on a phone in a bedroom where the socket is on the opposite wall to the bed.

Once again in this restaurant I received extroirdinary help and hospitality. Celina, the owner not only gave me a commentary cappuccino but two boxes of packet soups, pumpkin and also tomato.
Back on the road and an hour later a man called John Mills stopped his truck and gave me an orange juice and a Subway sandwich. He is a friend of Jason Cowden, the man I met last week who also set me up with the hotel night in Dalby. He had seen me on his way to Chinchilla and kindly purchased the meal for me on his way back to Toowoomba. Amazing help I'm getting here! 

I walked a few more kilometres and then when I came to a community hall I decided to pitch my tent under the entrance roof. That would save me trying to dry off the tent for the night as it looks like the rain is going to persist. So I sat on my small stool and waited for it to get dark. While I waited I changed into dry clothes and had two of Celina's delicious pumpkin soups, nothing like a soup on a wet miserable night.

No comments:

Post a Comment