Monday, October 2, 2017

Australia has been walked - Now for a little bit more


From my Facebook page 
We all know Sydney is a big city. It certainly is spread out. I had been walking for a day through the suburbs. I still have almost twenty kms to walk today. And a similar amount tomorrow to Bondi. I was surprised to hear that it's one of the largest cities in the world, and I have been to most of them. Right now I'm inclined to believe that claim. My current location as per the blue dot. Once again thanks to Tom Denniss for wonderful crewing, and for kindly sponsoring two hotel nights and dinners. He is gone on ahead and I am making my way through the city using my gps. That's another story as my iPhone suddenly clapped out. A new phone refused to work. I lost my contacts, so sorry for my slow response to answering the many messages you have sent me as there has been much confusion; and that's to put it mild! 
Thankfully, my iPhone started working again. Perhaps it heard someone's prayers. Hoping it and my gps will last a bit longer 😀
Thanks also to Tim Carroll for his  great help and kindness. I stayed with him that night in Glebe after walking 28 kms. Along with his girlfriend we all went out for a delicious steak dinner and a tour of the Sydney Opera House. 
Then on Sunday 1 October I was joined by Tom Denniss and Heather Hawkins as we walked towards Bondi Beach. After a couple hours we reached the Pacific Ocean and after 17,500 kometres I had crossed my third continent, 4,500 walked here. At the lighthouse we met Michael Gillan who you may remember crewed me for over 3,000 of those. Michael had to retire near Burra a few weeks prior. I was delighted to see him there and he went to enormous trouble and expense to make the trip from Melbourne!
So, Australia has been walked
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing, ocean, sky, beach, outdoor, water and natureImage may contain: ocean, sky, outdoor, water and nature
Thanks to my many Australia friends, those that helped me and a few Irish people too for your amazing help.
And a huge shout out to Benjamin Kniebe for updating my Australian route map 😀
No automatic alt text available. No automatic alt text available.
 
Finally, please remember what this is about... Life is precious - Early cancer screening saves lives. So far on this walk four people told me they went for screening and 'nasty things were discovered ' That my friends is my fuel, the octane that drives me around the world as I have know many people who did not have the luxury of early detection. Please check out my website and thanks also to Scott Richards for his hard graft on it.

The celebration of my Australian crossing which was in Jimmys Irish bar. I had a great night with my kind hosts, around the world runner  Tom and his wife Carmel Denniss

https://www.facebook.com/carmel.denniss/videos/10214086720583944/

 
A huge thanks to them for hosting me for a couple of nights and for such an enjoyable time 😀



Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people standing, drink, shoes and indoor
It was also wonderful to meet some of the Irish community. The bar was full for the Australian rugby league grand final between the Melbourne Storm and the North Queensland Cowboys. Melbourne stormed through the game to clinch the title.

Image may contain: 7 people, people smiling

With all the excitement of my Australian crossing I forgot to mention that after I returned to Tom and Carmels house that they pulled a tick out of my neck! I noticed it a couple of days before but hadn't a chance to have someone extract it for me. After dousing my neck with alcohol, no not their whiskey, Tom managed to ease it out with a tweezers while Carmel did the photography 😀 Image may contain: food
It was a nasty piece of work 😂 Thanks so much Tom and Carmel
Today I spent the day lounging around Sydney with Michael Gillan. For those that haven't been following me closely I will be walking some more in Australia. I am heading north towards Brisbane. Tomorrow I will be having an easy day of around ten kilometres. Please see map photo here. I will catch up with Michael again for lunch. Tuesday, I am going to return to Bondi and then walk to Tim Carroll's  house in Glebe. On Wednesday I will walk a similar distance to Tim Flemings address. He is another Irishman who lives in Strathfield.

 Image may contain: one or more people and text

No comments:

Post a Comment