Wednesday, May 22, 2019

My World Walk Blog: China # 56

China Blog #56

 
It had been a long 34-kilometre slog through mountain drizzle with a cold snap in the air. All day long and into the early hours of the morning people were letting off fireworks. They even threw them from wedding cars, set them off in factory yards or just randomly at the side of the road. I enjoy them mostly when they light up the evening sky. Other than that I just don't get their fascination. The amount of debris and smouldering pollution left behind in villages has to be seen to be believed. I didn't have any luck trying to find accommodation and there was nowhere suitable for pitching my tent. In the end, I lay my almost dishevelled body down at the side of a leaky roadside monument which afforded slight shelter. Stupidly I hadn't secured my sleeping bag inside my waterproof bivy sack and as a result, I awoke next morning and it was damp. Drying that out in this weather could be problematic. 
I was up and walking at 8 am and with no breakfast options, I stopped at a store that had almost no stock. The owner had stopped me in the street to see if I was lost so I went inside and got boiling water for my coffee and even though I had my own bread I bought some more from him just to support him. This man actually didn't want to take my payment until I insisted. 
 Naturally, the people in these villages are always wondering what I'm up to and when I engage with them they seem to get some kind of a thrill that I singled them out. That's what I like to do, engage and get as close as I reasonably can.
 I continue to show my Google translated message explaining about the walk and my early cancer awareness message. I also offer my world walk business card but in China its almost always handed back as people can't understand the script.  
I walked on through villages with pretty red lanterns and stopped to admire a temple whose architecture I admired. Then I crossed over two long bridges which straddled the Minjiang River and then later a tunnel which was almost 900 metres long. That tunnel had a path which was about 10 centimetres/ 4 inches wider than Karma so I was able to walk on it. However, it was slow progress to keep my cart on the straight and narrow. A constant stream of traffic roared towards me leaving a plume of carbon monoxide behind. I imagined that I was walking on a tight rope across the Grand Canyon. It took immense concentration just to keep Karma rolling on in a straight line as she kept crashing into the wall and I had to be careful she didn't drop off the narrow path and onto the road.
Just after I exited the tunnel I met an interesting cyclist from Azerbaijan who spoke fluent English. He plans a world cycle but for a trial, he is cycling China in two stages. Last year he spent a few weeks in the country and this year will cycle for another month. 
Just after dark and with 32 kilometres behind me I made it a large city and stopped in a suburb called Lianjiang at a restaurant for a delicious beef, cabbage and noodle dinner. As the owner was so friendly I offered him the equivalent of a few euro to sleep on some chairs all pushed together in the restaurant when they closed for the night. He agreed and then later after I paid for my dinner he wouldn't take my money for the sleep. I hung up my sleeping bag in an effort to dry it out as it was still damp from the night before. Thoughtfully he also gave me some blankets and a thermos of hot water for my coffee. This man fussed over me so much and he even boiled up some water so I could have a scoop shower.
27,776 kilometres have been walked for 817 myworldwalk.com road days 😂
Thanks for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment