Wednesday, May 22, 2019

China blog #60

China blog #60

A couple of easy days and then a 27-kilometre mud-splattered effort from just south of Ningde City to an area called Ningde Garden Centre. I continued walking on route G104 and in low lying mountains at an altitude of just under 400 metres above sea level. That day I hacked my way through gravel, potholes and puddles and along a fifteen kilometre stretch of road which was under construction. My pants got destroyed, soaked and muddy. Not having a need for my waterproof leggings I discarded them two years ago. Naturally, I was wondering where I would lay my head that night. There have been so many nights like this in my travel life of over two thousand road days that at this stage I don't worry anymore. Something will turn up, something almost always does. Just keep the faith, Tony. 
Just then I got to what looked like a mall with lots of veranda shelter and figured that would do the trick. It seemed to be a bit of a cosmopolitan mall as there were also coffee shops and a small art studio which was still under construction. Interesting all of the store names were in English and I didn't spot any Chinese script. There was a patch of grass and if it was not raining I would have pitched my tent but why bother pitching it and then having to pack a wet tent up in the morning when there was ample shelter? Instead I went inside a restaurant which had a strange sounding name called, Marry Me. There were several highway construction workers who were just finishing off their dinner and beers. They gave me a warm greeting as I sat down to my own seafood dinner and soon I was chatting away via Google Translate with the owner. When I told him about my sleeping plans under a sheltered veranda he brought me over to the unfinished art studio called Picasso. Please see my photos for some of the exhibits. He unchained the door and thankfully there was a large cut-off piece of carpet so I was able to wheel Karma inside and keep the studio's carpet clean of mud. That night I settled down to sleep in my warm sleeping bag and was able to hang up my clothes to dry out somewhat before I did it all again the very next day. I may be doing the walking but its heroes like this restaurant owner that helps me to put one foot in front of the other day after day. Thank you my friend. You made me so comfortable that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment