Saturday, February 10, 2018


New Zealand 13
Hurricane Higgins

On I walked through some more hilly terrain. It was damn hot, perhaps in the region of 27C. New Zealand reminds me a lot of Ireland, green, lots of sheep and though each of the two islands is roughly the same size as the UK the total population is around 4.5 million, also similar to Ireland. However, unlike in Ireland, the country is currently going through a drought. I'm also told that the whole of New Zealand can fit into the Australian state of Queensland 14 times, and that's just one Australian state, it just goes to show how big Oz is.
That day I was feeling the effects of my eight-kilo backpack and made frequent stops. A picnic rest area is always a welcome sight. 
It was about 8 pm with fading light and I was about 15 kilometres before Taihape when a man in a white Ute pulled up and asked if I wanted a lift. After a quick chat when I determined that he lived 25 kilometres up the road I asked if he had a garden where I could pitch my tent.
"I have a 150-acre farm and you are welcome to a bed!" Said Jim. I made a quick bookmark location on my Maps.me map on my smartphone also, I left two water bottles in the drain for easier identification of my finish spot as i would be returning to that exact same spot in the morning. 
On the way to Jim's farm, he kindly said that he would return me there in the morning and I could also stay another night as the distance was a nice easy day walking without my backpack. I gave him a large crescent wrench that i fou found on the road. Rather than leave the tools that I find to gather dust I rather kick them out into the hard shoulder for someone to find. Other times like this I give them as a present to someone that helps me. Jim thought that hilarious and told me not to return the next day without a full toolbox! 
At the farm, Jim and Raewyne, his lovely wife cooked me a delicious fried dinner. 
When he was younger he culled deer, now he breeds them. 
Next day, I walked the remaining 23 kilometres back to the farm. I was excited as these last few weeks I was in contact with fellow Dubliner, Dermot Higgins to arrive! Like me, he is on a world journey. The man from Rush has cycled 23,000 kilometres since he started his long global pedal last June. He is also aiming to be the oldest world cyclist. While we waited, Jim, a man with a great sense of humour said "So why is Ireland exporting all of its old buggers to roam around New Zealand.
We had been communicating for several weeks and here we were meeting up. 
Dermot though differs from me in so far that he is a man focused on his finish, a couple of months further down the road. In that time he will be flashing across the USA. Me, I prefer to live in the moment and not a finish date in the distant future.
I thoroughly enjoyed our encounter but had to make a huge effort just to slow him down from his hurricane persona and to have a relaxing conversation without a rushed conversation! 


In his Go Go Dermo blog Dermot wrote:
 
"Earlier, Tony had sent me the exact GPS coordinates for James's deer farm but I still managed to miss the turnoff from the highway. Fortunately, both Jim and Tony anticipated this and they went out looking for me. A white Ute drove past. “Hey Dermo!” shouted a voice from inside and out hopped a sprightly figure in shorts. Of course, I knew who it was but I couldn’t stop myself uttering my version of Stanley’s famous phrase- “Tony Mangan, I presume!”
And so ensured our historic encounter! That day, Sunday, January 21, 2018, 8:55 pm.- a moment of real historic importance with regard to international endurance and adventure stories.
Here, on a lonely road in the interior of the North Island in New Zealand, the Irishman who is cycling around the world was greeted by another Irishman who is walking around the world with a cancer awareness message.
Jim and his lovely wife, Raewyne run a marvellous mixed stock farm with deer, sheep and cattle. It’s quite an amazing place with the beautiful Bambi like fallow deer, coming right up to the patio door.
Tony and I chatted long into the night, we drank a few beers while Jim prepared a huge feed.  It must have been strange for him to be hosting two strange adventurous Irish vagabonds in the same night but he’s led such an interesting and varied life and took his new role as gracious and generous host in his stride. It was another night to remember and one to treasure forever!
Next morning, Jim prepared a delicious fried breakfast and we chatted for a few hours, in no hurry to venture into the drizzle which had been falling during the night and which would gradually become heavier during the afternoon. 
It was after 11.00am. when the Irish walker and the Irish cyclist headed off, after our farewells, down the steep hill from the farmhouse to the highway. 
Tony obviously covers shorter distances than me, generally, sources accommodation in people’s homes and is much more interested in promoting awareness of cancer screening than he is in breaking records or raising funds.  We discussed tentative plans for our own further adventures.
We walked together for a while and it was interesting to discuss the similarities and differences between us. 
We both shared the same inspirational friend, -the legendary Maurice Mullins from Skerries, who died a couple of years ago. Maurice is credited with bringing triathlon to Ireland. His sharp sense of humour and generosity was fondly remembered as we rambled down the country lanes. Eventually, I had to leave Tony and push on northwards."
Yes, and I have my own memories of the great Maurice. When ultra running was in its infancy in Ireland Maurice kept the candle burning and even served as chairman or Ultrarunning Ireland. He was a selfless person and always there for anyone who needed advice. He was at the tail-end of his Irish career when I made my debut for the Irish team in the world 100-kilometre championships in France. My mother and sister came over to support us and rented a caravan. I hired a car and Maurice had us in stitches for the man could tell yarns all night long

No comments:

Post a Comment