Friday, February 23, 2018

My world walk blog new Zealand 20. "The Honesty Box"

Inbox
x

The Honesty Box.
20,070 kilometres in 557 road days.
Friday the 9th February I walked 23 kilometres and finished at Gasoline Alley Service station in the Auckland suburbs. Many Maori place names leave me flummoxed, however, the fun names like this one, Papatoetoe I can remember easily. That left 18 kms still to walk on my route in the country. I'm going to take a rest day on Saturday so as my hosts can walk with me on Sunday as they are busy tomorrow. I wanted to walk more today, but I was a rain wimp!
New Zealand may be an expensive country for the budget traveller. However, one can still have treats by checking out long-term special offers from pizza chains like Domino's Pizza and Pizza Hut. Why go to the burger chains and pay twice as much for half as much?
Also, many restaurants have a takeaway fish and chips section and don't mind the customer sitting inside. Those take away meals cost about seven dollars, about a third of the cost of the cheapest regular meal.
In the countryside, many houses and farms supplement their beer money, lol 😂 by selling vegetables like a bag of tomatoes or cucumber or even fruit or eggs for a couple of dollars. They leave the products outside unattended and drop their money the appropriate cost into an 'honesty box' bolted onto a stand beside the food. That way, unlike when purchasing from shops we can be sure the produce is fresh and it's usually cheaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment