Friday, February 23, 2018

My world walk blog new Zealand 18 - 20,000 kilometres walked


20,000 kilometres walked

 Iwalked a glorious 36 kilometres and finished near Huntley where I camped on the banks of the sacred Waikato river. I haf been following this river, New Zealands longest for a couple of weeks now. A couple of people told me that it's one of only two rivers (after the Rhine) in the world that flows upstream. Next day, Wednesday t'was a dirty drizzly day and I  made a big effort to get close to Pukekawa, 42kms away. 
After just 32 clicks, I had reached my 20,000th kilometre of this global odessy. 
Thanks so much to each and every person that I met that made this happen. That day I was twenty days short of two years on the road. Countries walked so far: England, Netherlands, Germany, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Russia, Mongolia, China, Vietnam, Australia and now New Zealand..
Please remember that life is precious and early cancer screening saves lives.
After walking through km 20,000 I walked for another two hours and came to a junction on Old Highway 22. There was a brightly lit building and a man called Thomas told me to go inside and ask for Terry, his father. Several men greeted men, some of them claimed to be of Irish descent, including John O'Brien. I was in the Onewhero Golf Club. These lads were were relaxing after their weekly  9-hole twilight tournament. After a few exchanges a man called Hoss offered me a bed for the night 😂
Back at his house, I had a shower while  Noeleen, his wife cooked me a delicious steak  dinner. What a beautiful and an amazing country!
41 kms today. Please see map for todays walk details.
The next day I was aiming for Drury, 39 kms away and Hoss took my pack on ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment