Sunday, July 10, 2016

July 4th, 2016

Happy 4th July to all of my American friends!
So far today I have walked 22km in the Ural Mountains as far as a town called Sim. And although it was tough going it's not as daunting as I have been led to believe! There is a shoulder. Let's see what the rest of it is like.
Yesterday I saw a snake in the shoulder, it was about five metres in front of me. It was about half a metre long, black with a yellow head an about a centimetre wide, as I approached it slittered back into the grass.
I am afraid I didn't make the final cut for the BBCs search for their most inspirational person!

However, it was such a privilege and an absolute honour when they contacted me a couple of months ago! Just to be nominated alongside so many incredible people who have devoted their lives to helping others, fighting discrimination, women's rights and for a freer and more tolerant society. After all I am just an adventurer, I am humbled to have been part of it all!
Here is part of the message the BBC sent me about just being nominated... "To put that achievement into context, Outlook has almost been running for five decades - the programme goes out every day and we run around 4 - 5 stories in each programme - and you were chosen as one of the most inspirational people on our show."
Thank you so much, for your support, I enjoyed the experience immensely. and I wish all of the remaining nominees the very best of luck =D
If you haven't heard my interview please click on the link below and press the play button.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03wgtwz




24km so far today. The Urals so far are just short leg sapping climbs 1-2km and a plateau and down again. So far there is a shoulder. Wifi signal is very poor! Am doing well. It's hot, about 30C. Just had a great chat with two German motorbikers on their way to Mongolia. The came up through Turkey, Georgia and Azerbaijan where it's a sweltering 45C. They will fly their bikes home from Mongolia, 1,200 euro.


No comments:

Post a Comment