Friday, May 25, 2018

My world walk blog - Australia 71 - The Australian leg of my world walk for cancer awareness will end in Darwin on July 10th.


The Australian leg of my world walk for cancer awareness will end in Darwin on July 10th.
Since I began walking from Perth almost thirteen months ago Australia has just got better and better for me. 
When I walked out of the ocean in the Western Australian capital I had a smile on my face. I was living my dream and that smile probably resembled that of a new Fiat Polo owner. Now that dream and my love for Australia better  resembles that of Lamborghini proportions. Tomorrow, when I walk across the state line separating  Queensland from the Northern Territory I will do so with a heavy heart. For Queensland has now has become one of my favourite places in the world. 
After the Western Australian state I walked across South Australian state and enjoyed the arid Nullarbor plain immensely. For me the country started off with a slow perculation and my love for it grew stronger and stronger. Then I walked through a small spike of  northern Victoria. I was only there for three or four days, so its not really fair to compare it to the other larger states. Next up was New South Wales and I loved it and its people so, so much. Such fun, excitement I hadn't had in a long time. To be honest I didn't know what to expect from Queensland. Perhaps just snakes and dodgy spiders. To my astonishment this state has eclipsed its southern neighbour. I walked in the region of three thousand kilometres on my north and north-western route in the state. It's a huge state, two-and-half times the size of Texas. 
Now, once again and even though I have been there before, this time I don't know what to expect from the Northern Territory. The state line is just a dozen kilometres down the road from where I sit in Camooweal this evening. 
One decision I have made is that I will honour my late brother Brian Mangan's  birthday with my final footstep in Darwin  to finish off this massive country. Had he lived, July 10th would have been his sixtieth birthday. RIP bro, It's just 1,410 kilometres to your big birthday and as always you will be with me all the way. 💚

No comments:

Post a Comment