Friday, May 25, 2018

My world walk blog Australia 70 - Lookalike


Lookalike!
After six days of  walking from Mount Isa to Camooweal. With no services for almost 200 kilometres I have a roadhouse firmly in my sights.  An overdue steak will soon be ordered.
Mount Isa, a large town of 21,000 has strange boundaries which even stretch through the outback in all directions and also to Camooweal. The stretch of highway that I have just walked from Mount Isa is technically a city street; although I failed to find a nightclub 😂 According to Guinness World Records it has been verified as the longest city street in the world. By default this bizzarely makes Mount Isa the largest city in the world, also verified by the GWR.
Thanks to Carmel for dropping off water at four locations. My system when people stop with offers of water is to ask them to drop it off ahead of me along the highway and mark the kilometre post by tying a plastic bag to it. I asked her to do that only at two locations but she filled up with more water at two more posts on her way back. She generously gave me a large tub of home-made pumpkin soup!
Thanks also to Glen and Jenny for their kind thoughts upon seeing me arrive in the dark at Inca Creek rest area, they came out and gave me some left-over chop suey and then good coffee for breakfast. I would also like to express my gratitude to other drivers who stopped to check on my welfare. Sorry I have forgotten your names but not the tremendous memories I have gained.
One day, a man called Trevor pulled up and got out of his hired car. I greeted him with.. "Oh my f**k" For to me he resembled a cleaner-cut Michael Gillan!  Many readers will remember that Michael crewed me from Melbourne to Darwin on my world run Mar/May 2013 and then once again for eleven weeks on this walk from Perth to just short of New South Wales. Trevor is on a holiday from his native New Zealand and mentioned that he had heard about me over in Dunedin and told his children to look out for me over there! He was thrilled, and so was I, to bump into each other here on the Barkly Highway.
Thanks to Michelle the owner of the Camooweal Post Office Hotel Roadhouse for greeting me at the door with a pint 😂 And then free camping!
www.myworldwalk.com Walking around the world with a cancer awareness mesaage that: Life is precious and early cancer screening saves lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment