Saturday, September 23, 2017

Picked up!

After returning to my route at the Yass Service Cente I camped that night. After two weeks off from the walk I was well rested and felt strong and managed to stride out a solid 31 kilometres. 
Next day 42kms. I was walking along a road that ran parallel to the main highway. Two women called Sandra and Chris were stopped on the other side of the fence. We struck up a conversation after one of them said: 'Poor you!' Then they.  poured me a coffee and handed me a salad sandwich. I thought it was a strange place to meet, perhaps we were meant to meet, perhaps they were meant to hear my cancer awareness message.
Later, I camped in a gap in a hedge in Breadalbane. That is after cooking my dinner at a bus shelter! 
Then a slow day due to many people stopping to talk to me! Eventually, I finished in Goulburn, 25kms walked. I spent that night in luxury as I was the guest of Carola, Stephen and family. Earlier they 'picked me up' at McDonalds and I walked to the family home after such a kind invitation 😀
I am looking forward to my fellow world runner friend Tom Denniss who will be crewing for me later in the week. Tom will walk with me as far as Bondi Beach when I eventually touch the ocean on October  1st. 
Michael Gillan who crewed me for most of my Australian crossing will be flying over from Melbourne. You may remember he had to retire from his great crewing duties due to hernia problems. Well the good news is that he will have that operation in a coupe of weeks 😀

No comments:

Post a Comment