Friday, March 18, 2016

The Helping Hand reaches out!

The Helping Hand reaches out:
Today, Friday, I walked 27km as far as Zeist  on bicycle and pedestrian paths. I have never seen so much bicycle activity outside of India!! There were piles of bicycles lined up outside many houses, so many I wondered if they were bicycle shops! I guess the authorities don't have much choice but to build the great network of cycle routes as otherwise there would be chaos on the roads. At times even the cycle paths are crowded by riders of all ages. Light motor cycles  are also allowed to ride on them.
It was wonderful to see my old friend Peter Rietveld (left in photo)
who stopped by with Karol, a client of his who wanted to see what all this crazy ultra walking and running is all about!
We had a great chat at the side of the road in Utreich. As luck would have it Peters friend Chris lives near Zeist which was a perfect distance and also on my way. He phoned to invite me to stay tonight with him and his wife Brenda van Hunnik
She cooked a delicious pasta and steak dinner! "Delicious" is phonetically pronounced as "Hair- Lick" in Dutch, easy to remember!
They kindly offered me a rest day on Saturday, but instead I elected to walk the 32 km to Voorthuizen with another friend of Peter, a walker called Nitish Zuidema
It will be a rest day of sorts as I won't be pushing Karma, I will be returning to Chris and Brenda's house on Saturday night. Then on Sunday morning Peter will return me and Karma to my previous finish and then we will both walk the 27km to Apeldoorn. With luck I should reach Germany on Monday and a few days later I will stay with Chris's sister, but first, her husband wants to walk with me to their home! A bit complicated I know; just like on my world run.... "The Helping Hand" reached out to help me. Thank you everyone, I appreciate all your great help and hospitality!

No comments:

Post a Comment