Thursday, March 17, 2016

March 16th & 17th 2016

Happy St Patrick's Day to Everyone...



Thanks to everyone for your St Patricks Day wishes and the same to you all!

St. Patricks Day on the road in Holland: 32km/ 20 miles. I finished just west of Heeswijk at the Shell petrol station. After a coffee and getting Jan and Paul interested in my walk I asked if could camp around the back of their station. I promised Jan I wouldn't smoke or cook! The lads kindly filled up my two litre thermos, so I have hot water for my nightly cuppa soup, tea, coffee and porridge in the morning. As I was about to set up my tent Paul came out and offered me one of their hire trailers to sleep in. Luxury! Then he came back with some bread. Nice people, thank you. And they even have class chocolate, don't mind the Toblerones or the fancy stuff! Tonight I am about 15km west of Utreich
 
       



This was last St Patricks Day with my mother RIP and sister Ann Salmon

I had a bit of trouble finding the tunnel to cross the river in Rotterdam! I passed it several times and went around in a circle! It was inside a building and down a lift shaft! The Dutch really cater for pedestrians and cyclists, our very own tunnel. This morning a bridge just before Gouda was being raised to let some small boats through. Yesterday I continued my walk along canals and dykes and camped in a forest near Hitland. I am walking towards Utreich. If you are a drinker have a Guinness tonight for St Patrick!








March 16th 2016

Today I had a lovely 27km walk from the Dutch port in Europoort. It was pure Heaven strolling along those beautiful bicycle paths away from traffic. There were no narrow roads or fighting with the traffic for a bit of shoulder or having to push my cart into thorns to make progress, what bliss! I wish the whole world was like Holland! And almost as flat as Kansas, which has been scientifically proved to be flatter than a pancake!
I finished my day on the outskirts of Rotterdam and was picked up by Johan Postma the father of my friend Hester Postma I think I made Corrines day when I asked her if she is Hester's sister! "No I'm her mother!"
Thanks to everyone for making me so welcome, a delicious dinner and washing and drying my clothes!
In the morning the family will return me to my route, which is just five kms before Rotterdam. Please see map for my proposed day. I hope it will be as pleasant as today, my first day in continental Europe!
A special thank you to my ultra running friend Peter Rietveld who introduced me to Hester when they were in Dublin last summer.

















No comments:

Post a Comment