Wednesday, March 30, 2016


March 25th to March 29th, 2016    Please click on the blog tab on myworldwalk.com


March 29th
 One year ago today my mother, my rock of strength departed this life.
Mom & my Sister
 She was taken cruelly by cancer, long before her time. Now she is reunited with her husband John. May they rest in peace. Today was a tough day for me on the road. I thank my family and friends for their messages of support. I only walked 22km as far as Hohnhorst. Strangely on this night, of all nights my host is Felix Stute and his girlfriend Daria.
Felix also lost his mother to cancer. Next month it will be the first anniversary of her death, may she also rest in peace.  
My world walk is a cancer awareness walk. 
The message for my walk is: Life is precious. Early checking saves lives. 

I have been getting a lot of drizzle lately. Yesterday on the road I passed a very a couple of stark road safety signs which were painted by children, as in the pictures. Later that night after a 33km day I camped in a the town park of Meerbeck. I know wild camping is illegal in Germany, sometimes I just get a good vibe that it will be ok. Just to be sure I was packed up early (for me!) at 8:30.
After I arrived at Felix's house I did an interview for a German national newspaper. Which included photographs in the rain!
675km for 25 road days.
I am doing good. It's early days yet but I am enjoying my world walk more than my world run!

  


Dinner with Mom
Lunch on the road
 


March 27th
 This day last year, Easter Sunday I was enroute to the North Pole to do the North Pole Marathon and to have a great adventure. The trip was a very generous ' job well done ' present from the main sponsor of my run around the world, Richard Donovan

Richard is the race director of the multi award winning North Pole Marathon.
Thank you again Richard for your generosity on my world run and also for an amazing experience up North!
I continue my latest adventure walking through Germany in an attempt to walk around the world!
www.myworldwalk.com  









Pps Easter Sunday 32km/ 20 miles walked, am camped in the woods.

  
March 26th
I stopped for hot water for my thermos. Press on the translate button. Thanks Markus and Tania! Ps Saturday I walked 42km, a marathon. It was a late finish as walking takes a lot longer than running! I awoke to rain! Happy Easter everyone!
 

March 25th
546 km walked in 21 road days, I continue with my steady start to my attempt to circumnavigate the world again on foot! This time I am walking.
I just had two lovely days walking with my host Paul. He and his wife Marja Neufeglise Meier who kindly put me up for three nights. They also commuted me for two days to and from my finish locations, so I didn't have to push Karma. I appreciate this very much as they already had their hands full minding their two grandsons for a week. Paul and Marja are both Dutch but like many of their countryfolk they prefer to live in the west of Germany as it's more economical than Holland. Houses are substantially cheaper in Germany and car tax too. For example Paul's Volkswagen Passat station wagon costs just 210 euro to tax for the year, the same cars road tax bill would costs 1,600 euro in the Netherlands.
On our first day we had a wonderful 24km walk from Lingen to his house. We walked mostly on back roads and pedestrian paths. The weather was very nice and we stopped frequently for snacks at bus shelters some of which are nice places to rest and perhaps next week in smaller villages I may even camp in them!
On the way back he pretended to be lost and when we arrived at a house he asked me to wait at the side of the road as he was going to ask the people inside for directions. Joker that he is he had brought me to the backside of his own house. As I arrived at the front of the house the previous night I didn't recognise the house I was staying in! A little later he called me inside, laughing his head off as we went!
Today, Good Friday I walked 15km with Paul and Faith his partial Rottweiler as far as Berge before Marja picked him up as he had an appointment in the afternoon. I walked on for a further ten kilometres on my own as far as Nortup.
Before he left, Paul spoke about his time in the Dutch Special Forces before he retired. Much of his training was done in the Norwegian mountains. Platoons of about thirty marines walked in full combat gear 'hand-railing' the side of the road, about fifty metres in. If they came to a river they swam across as their gear was waterproof, their heavy packs were transformed into floatation devices and even their guns are capable of firing underwater in a combat situation. Usually three reconnaissance marines went on ahead to check for a secure location for food supplies to be dropped at a suitable location. Those co-ordinates were radioed to the aircraft which dropped the shipment within 100 metres of the spot, as their parachutes were guided by gps steering devices. In the olden days many drops went astray. Thanks so much to my hosts for a wonderful time!
Please click on the blog tab on myworldwalk.com





   

No comments:

Post a Comment