Sunday, April 22, 2018

My world walk blog Australia 61

 The Chief of Police


The Chief of Police.
Today I had a nice 26 km ramble to finish in a small town called Longreach. It's also where Qantas, the national airline was founded.
On the way out of Ilfrancombe I was stopped by a friendly couple called Rob and Wendy who have just set out from Brisbane on a year-long trip around Australia in their caravan. As always I can never refuse an offer of coffee, so my departure from the village that I enjoyed so much was delayed by almost an hour. As mentioned several times that there is rarely a day when I don't meet someone who is affected by the curse of cancer and these people are no different. I spoke about my walk, their trip and my cancer awareness message: Life is precious and early screening saves lives.
It was a warm 34C day for me and it seems that other parts of the country are suffering from unseasonably hot weather. Rob spoke about a place which has just recorded its 27th straight day of 45C or over and we are supposed to be heading into winter!
So far I'm managing well, its warm for me, but not unbearable. This part of Queensland is currently going through a seven year drought and that's the reason for the bad problem with the bush flies which have gotten worse in the last week or so. Before I had many long breaks,  now the bush flies motivate me to keep walking and cut my breaks to a minimum. When I stop for lunch I often purposely spill something like a dash of tomato sauce out of my tin of sardines, just to keep the feckers occupied and away from me!
Tonight, I'm the guest of Graham Seabrook and his wife Robyn a maseur. He is a police chief and is also a keen triathlete and is in serious training for an event in a few weeks time.
Over a delicious lamb dinner that Robyn cooked Graham told the story about how one of his men was dating his daughter and that they tried to keep it a secret from him! However, his men soon informed him. So he told the lads to tease the officer a bit. Now they are happily married.
Next Friday, my birthday there is a big festival in a town called Winton. If I make an effort I should arrive. It's the next town from where I am tonight and 180 kms away, so I may be a bit remote due to lack of signal for the next few days. Winton is the home of the famed Waltzing Matilda and they are opening up a new visitor centre and there is a lot of music and fun planned, even the Prime Minister is flying in! Graham is sending ten of his men and making the trip himself, just to help secure the event. He suggested that I do my grocery shop here as its possible I may not get what I want there due to the huge crowds that are expected. He kindly arranged to take my grocerys on ahead for me. I also have to buy a bit extra now as the next supermarket after Winton is in Cloncurry about 350 kilometres further on up the highway near Mt. Isa. But before I leave Longreach I have to get two slightly buckled wheels straightened by his mechanic friend, John, the owner of Longreaches BP station.
As mentioned before Mt Isa's huge Irish community has a big welcome planned for me. I am now planning to walk into town on the afternoon of Saturday, 5th May and hope that some locals can walk into town with me. 😂 🇮🇪💚🇦🇺

No comments:

Post a Comment