Friday, May 26, 2017

World walk blog. Australia 6

 The walk from Balldonia roadhouse towards Ciguana is going well. I will be there on Saturday. After 35 kilometres I came to a straight stretch of road which is called 90 mile straight, for its 145 kilometres long, and without a bend. It's Australia's longest straight road, longer that many countries, four times longer than Singapore!
A month ago on the way to my Australian start in Perth, Michael and I stopped off at rest area located just one kilometre east of the sign for the longest straight road.
 As a 'cache' food drop experiment we buried seven cans of Pepsi and documented the location. We did this for a laugh but also as I have often thought it possible that a runner or walker who didn't have a support crew or even want to push a cart could run or walk a desolate area if they had access to a car and drove the route before. One could bury a small stash of water, canned food or even snacks that are well wrapped up. Obviously the secret is accurate documentation, and photo taking of drop locations. More drops than are required also. In Australia km posts are every 10 kilometres. There are also picnic site every 20 kilometres or so. So caches could be say 10-20 paces from the post into a field and below a stone with say colored ribbon or a spray of paint. One could make a drop every 20,30,40 kms or whatever. Just a thought, everything is possible.
Anyway, at this picnic site mentioned above we left two cans of Pepsi for the next Nullarbor crosser!! It's location is on the west side of the longest straight, at the picnic site, just one km from the sign. Go into the parking area. And without wanting to sound like something from the Shawshank Redemption movie... Look for the tree that shouldn't be there! It's a stub of a tree with its branches sawn off. Walk twelve paces towards the fence. See photos. You will see a piece of duct tape on the barbed wire fence. Look closely at that photo too. Just in front of that is a red stone. That's where they are buried! Enjoy, if you plan to make a Nullarbor crossing. But hey, the cans say best before September 22nd 2017 at 07:02 and!😂
Anyway, back to the road. I walked on that night and Michael found a camping place. The long straight road took a bit of getting used to for when I saw a vehicle approaching me with its lights in the early evening, it often took five minutes to reach me. I first saw it approaching me about ten kilometres away. No wonder Michael was an hour out on the road shining his flashlight down the road at me, for I was so far away. 44 kilometres that day. Next day I walked 41 and also finished an hour after dark as so many people stopped to check on me including a gold prospecting couple and a man from Ireland on a motorbike
Just as I reached our camping place tonight I heard howling dingos. They are like dogs, often sandy brown color, more of a wolf than a dog. Dingos don't bark, they howl, which sounded like an ambulance siren to me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment