Monday, July 23, 2018

My world walk blog Australia 81 - Nearing the finish of Australia.


Nearing the finish of Australia. 

Road day 666 was a routine all be it a late finish. I walked 46 kilometres and pitched my tent at nine o'clock. I walked past many small but controlled bushfires. That's what they do in the Northern Territory they burn away much waste land and that way it grows back stronger, with more vitality. I have been told that is possible in the north and  unlike in the south of the country as there are more properties it is more difficult to burn down there to control bushfires. Doing this makes the parched dry fields less of a fire hazard. The result is a black scarred field.
One day I met a Swiss man called David who was doing somewhat of a world tour on a solar powered electric bike. From what I could understand it wasn't really working out for him and he was having so many problems. He had so many solar panels that his trailer was a few meters long. Apparently many countries refused to let him travel on their roads and it was costing a fortune to ship. Besides the solar thing wasn't really working out. He mentioned that when it's too hot, like now, and it's winter here that the solar panels don't charge up. The day I met him he was looking for a campsite to charge up. I left him and wished him luck but didn't really understand his project. 
A couple of days later I met a nice family who were taking a year out to cycle around Australia. They are from the Goldcoast and he was originally from the Netherlands, hence serious bicycle DNA
Their two children a girl aged sixteen and a boy aged fourteen sure were getting to know their country close up at such a young age. Their mission was to raise awareness about motorone disease as his father died from it a year to the day that I met them. They were celebrating his memory with a big meal at the Adelaide River roadhouse. 
Then with another big 47 kilometre day I made it to Manson Dam Wall Rest Area. 
On the way I met a man who was getting paid for living his dream. For many years he wanted to travel in the Northern Territory. He also worked as a service technician for pokey machines. He wanted to take a year off work but his boss didn't want to let him do it. But it seemed there was a logistic problem for the company in so far as machines were breaking down in so many remote areas and the company didn't have the manpower to cope. His boss said that he couldn't give him time off because of the problem and the shortage of manpower. Then the man I met suggested that he does his trip and services the machines at the same time! The boss thought it was a great idea and now he is travelling in a caravan owned by the boss and petrol and expenses are paid too!

I had another chat with a man called Philip from Victoria in the south of the country. He says that he comes up north at thus time of the year for some sun treatment for his cancer. He has Urticaria Pigmentiosa and according to him his doctors back up north didn't know much about the condition. After researching it himself he discovered that constant sunshine is key. 
He also mentioned that his house was burnt down in the deadly bushfires about ten years ago. He was still pretty beat up about it, a big loss was all of the personal stuff, letters photos and all. 
It seemed there were a lot of people scamming insurance companies. People whose houses were untouched by the fires just took photos of Phillips house and told the insurance companies that it was their house that was burnt down. Overwhellemed, many insurance companies just settled and paid out.
That day I walked on many minor roads. It took me off the busy highway but added an extra six-kilometres to my day
 All in all it was well worth it. Around seven pm I made it to Humpty Doo town centre and met my friend Terry Cleary who commuted me to his Darwin home. 
We returned in the morning and after an interview with the ABC radio Grandstand sports show I walked 35 kilometres mostly along bicycle paths and finished at the junction of Route 1 and Bagot Road. I had only seven kilometres left to walk in the continent. I would walk them in three days time, on July 10th to honour my late brother Brian who died from a heart attack when I was on the road in China.

No comments:

Post a Comment