Monday, January 1, 2018

Timura to Rakaia

On the way out of Timura, I stopped at the racetrack to see a monument of Phar Lap, a world-class locally-born racehorse from the 1920's and early '30s. A prolific winner who broke some records which still stand today. Most of Phar Lap's races were in Australia and big wins included the iconic Melbourne Cup. The horse was so strong that it was seriously handicapped, as much as 65 kilos which equate to the weight of an extra rider; and still, it won. Towards the end of its career Phar Lap won a race in Mexico and when it raced in the USA it was reported that bookmakers and the criminal underground were so concerned they would lose heavily that they ordered its death. After an unsuccessful shooting attempt, Phar Lap suffered a mysterious illness and allegedly was poisoned. An autopsy showed traces of arsenic and a heart double the size of other racehorses.
Then, I walked on and finished at Graham Taylors in Temuka. Graham is a motor racing friend of my mate Brian Railton who you may remember helping me for a few days at the start of my New Zealand route. That night we had a great chat. 
 Next day, I hoofed it 40 kilometres. The traffic was pretty intense. I assumed it was because I was getting closer to Christchurch, the south islands main city. However, I did read in a local newspaper that fatalities are up threefold this year and I was told that there is more volume on the roads. I had wondered about this as it wasn't this busy when I was running through here in Feb 2013 on my world run. One place that I did stop at on that run was at the Chequered Flag Cafe & Bar in Rangitata. Owned by serious Harley Davidson fans, a Dutchman called Cor and Helen his English wife. When I stopped here all those years ago they gave me a bed for the night. This time I didn't even recognise the place when going past but once inside I remembered everything. It was though I never left for our memories came flooding back. I was fortunate that I decided to stop for a coffee as tomorrow, will be their last day in business for they are retiring after eleven years in business.  

Then I walked on for another four hours. For long periods I walked on a grassy verge instead of the hard shoulder as the traffic continued to be heavy. 
After checking my map I realised that a gravel road ran parallel to the highway and in that final hour to Hinds, not a single vehicle passed me. Stopping at the Wayside Inn for a plate of chips and fish bites I got talking to a friendly bar woman called Amy. She phoned Theresa, the kind-hearted owner who gave me a cabin for the night. The Kiwis are such wonderful people.
Next morning, Theresa's daughter Rochelle mentioned that she was driving to Christchurch and would be able to drop my backpack at the Mobile petrol station in Rakaia and that would save me lugging it 46 kilometres. 
It was a most enjoyable day and I got chatting to Santa Claus, a man called Anthony who was having the time of his life riding his electric bike around Ashburtin. 
I eventually finished at 9:30 pm after an eleven hour, 46 km day from Hinds to Rakaia. 
Stopping in the South Rakaia Hotel my luck was still in when Peter, the kind owner generously gave me a room for the night. ðŸ˜€
  Tomorrow, December 23rd I will be at Christchurch City limits. And on the way, I will walk my 19.000 the kilometre. Please remember my world walk message: that life is precious and early cancer screening saves

No comments:

Post a Comment