Tuesday, November 7, 2017

My world walk blog Australia 38


So much happening and so little time to report! I having such a great time in New South Wales! I have been in the state for almost three months now! Three of those nights were in Walcha and as I mentioned before I spent two nights in an apartment beside Clints Prime Butcher shop where I was a guest. Thanks to John and Thomas for spoiling me with so many steaks that I was relieved to eventually dine on chicken wings for breakfast before I departed. In Amidale I camped in the town park. It was dark and as I was setting myself up to cook my dinner under a sheltered picnic area I took my eye off Karma, my cart. A few seconds later I turned around and she was gone! How could I lose her so quickly and right from right under my nose, I wondered? I saw a pickup truck with its beaming lights. Surely, I couldn't have been robbed so easily. I ran towards the vehicle and discovered that the driver had spotted my cart roll down a slight hill and out of the area where I had been cooking. Luckily, it didn't hit any vehicles and crashed into a ditch. Bizzarly, the driver was Clints the butchers ex - wife. No, as i am hoofing around the world on foot, I never say it's a small world, it certainly is a remarkable world.
 Sunday,  I stopped at a bus shelter as a heavy rain shower looked imminent. Half an hour later it poured for ten minutes. I thanked my smart decision to wait it out. Then just as I thought about sleeping there the night Wayne who was originally from England stopped by and after checking with his wife Cathy I was invited to their lovely country home. 
He is an art teacher and she a music teacher and we had a long conversation about the importance of the arts and why many governments usually give it the first chop in their financial budgets. 
On the road it was a hot 27 degree C day and I was glad of the coke a woman gave me. Earlier another woman stopped and gave me a packet of Lifesavers candy. They might just save your life she said! 
After a long climb through the Black Mountains  to an altitude of about 1,300 metres I arrived at a BP roadhouse. On the way in I got talking to a man who insisted on paying for my dinner. I stayed there for over two hours so as to walk the remaining remaining 12 kilometers to Guyra in the coolness of the early evening. While I waited the nice Pakistani owner called Zahoor kindly gave me three cappuccinos and another chicken dinner to go! 
Arriving in Guyra I walked past a picturesque lake called The Mother of Duck Lagoon  and continued through the historic town. 
At the Royal hotel I took a notion to go inside for a beverage and to discretely eat my dinner in a corner while charging up my phone as I had many emails to send. Soon, I was the centre of attention and Kevin the manager arranged a complimentary room for me while a man called Dave treated me to a couple of drinks . Australians are such generous people, everywhere I go people spoiling me. Its now my favorite country on this world walk. Thanks everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment