Wednesday, January 8, 2020

China blog #74

China blog #74

Next day I clocked up kilometre 29,000 - about 18,000 miles have been walked.
 It was a warm day, about 32°C. Time to top up my sunscreen. 

One Saturday night after my 46-kilometre day. I camped in a small town park. Services were pretty sparse. After twenty kilometres i found a grocery store that was open. I bought some noodles and the nice family insisted on giving me lunch. 
Then I marched on. It was another really hot day.

A few months previously an American walker called Anna contacted me. She wanted me to walk for some months with her in Africa. At first, I refused. One reason was that I had safety fears about the continent. I was also a bit hesitant when she told me she can sometimes be bad and moody company. However, I suggested and helped her research a route from Rwanda to Kenya with no intention of going myself.  Pretty soon I got excited for her about her trip. Before I knew it she had me roped in. I was going to walk a little extra walking in Africa. For weeks my instincts and sixth sense told me that this was a bad idea and I should reconsider. 
Once I changed my mind and told her I didn't want to go but when she sent me a pleading reply with a heartbreaking plea I just melted and reluctantly agreed. We eventually set a tentative date for the third week in June to hook up in Kigali, the Rwandan capital.

No comments:

Post a Comment