Sunday, September 16, 2018

My world walk blog - Vietnam #8 - "Will you marry me?" 😂

My world walk blog - Vietnam #8 - "Will you marry me?" 😂


Will you marry me?" 😂
Hi everyone! Thanks for all of your lovely messages on reaching my 25,000th kilometre 😂 That happened when I reached km marker 34 on route QL 10.
Each one of your messages is special and much appreciated. I am so lucky to have so many loyal and great friends which I cherish from the bottom of my heart 💚😍❤
I also stopped at a dressmaker office to get some pockets sewn onto my walking shirt. The lovely woman there spoke some 'kinda English' Her vocab was from phrases she had learnt off or read from her notebook. "Are you married? And " Why not you are very handsome!" Lol 😂 "I have no husband" and " What about me? Will you marry me?" 😂
"No thank you, It's not on my agenda!"
Needless to say, a stitch in time so I grabbed my shirt and hot-footed it down the road!
Then she comes down five kilometres down the road on her motorbike and thankfully she had forgotten her notebook but managed to say: "Do you remember me?"
"Will I ever forget you!' Hopefully, I didn't leave a broken heart on Friday!
That day I walked 38 kilometres and finished at a lovely hotel in Uong Bj. I took a rest day yesterday and today Sunday to catch up on some projects that I'm working on. It's always nice to have a quality place to stay for rest days. Believe me, I have woken up in places where ants were crawling all over the room and not relishing my rest day. So for the sake of a few euro, it's always a good idea to check into a quality place when I take a break. This is all possible due to the kind sponsorship of my great friend Richard Donovan the race director of the North Pole marathon and other extreme races like seven marathons on seven continents in seven days, The Volcano Marathon, The Antarctic Ice marathon and 100 km, etc. Richard is the worlds most renown organiser of extreme races. So if you are looking for a challenging race or a lifetime experience please check out his events. 
Sorry for the lack of updates here. Sometimes I need to turn off Facebook and have a little 'Tony Time'
On Friday I was walking through a large town and a park ranger called Kien offered me tea at his office which was just ten kilometres up the road. So, I stopped and we had a nice chat. The previous day I bought a new lightweight high-viz vest and gave my old one to Kien as a keepsake. It just that bit too warm for here. Thanks to Mike Hamiora for that kind gift at a roadhouse (?which one Mike) in Australias Northern Territory. It served me well, but alas, just too warm 😂
A little later I went into a cafe and had lunch and the owner strongly resisted my payment. I was about 500 metres down the road and I realise that I had forgotten to give him my card. Even though he probably isn't on Facebook and doesn't speak English I felt his generosity deserved my card. '500 meters and then back again!' I frowned. What the heck, I have all the time in the world so why not? And that's what I did, I went back and he was delighted with it.
I have ten days left on my Vietnam visa and I'm 192 kilometres from China, so about six or seven standard days walking. I'm not really in a hurry, so expect another couple of lazin' in days next week 😂
I have passed the line of latitude from where I stopped at the Sea of China in Vietnam in April 2017 to walk Australia and New Zealand. That was at the ocean near Haiphong. As you can see from the map this time I bypassed that large city. So, though not technically, I'm pretty much back on my old route. I will cross the exact spot of previous footsteps in a couple of days. 
Thanks to Benjamin in Berlin for providing his unusual fabulously-detailed map which depicts my route here pre-Australia and Nz and ultimately my return to Asia. That is, from the ocean south of Bangkok to here for the last two months.
Have a great, fun-filled and positive day wherever you are in the world 😂

No comments:

Post a Comment