Monday, September 24, 2018

My world walk blog Vietnam #11/ Down and out.



Down and out

Today is the Mid-Autumn Festival, the Vietnamese equivalent of Thanksgiving. It's also celebrated in China and many other south-east Asian countries. It's mainly a time for family and friends to be together and to celebrate the end of the rice and wheat harvests. Moon worship is an important part of the festival celebration. The ancient Chinese believed in rejuvenation being associated with the moon and water, and connected this concept to the menstruation of women, calling it "monthly water"...  Ancient folklore says that the sun and the moon are a couple and the stars are their children, and when the moon is pregnant it becomes round and then becomes crescent after giving birth to a child. These beliefs made it popular among women to worship and give offerings to the moon on this evening. 

This morning after breakfast I couldn't resist playing the drums with my chopsticks! Ringo Starr your job is safe!

What was his song? Oh Yes, Down and Out! 

"Looked at the sky, what did I see?
I saw someone looking at me.
And I'm down and out, down and out,
Well, I'm down, so down, down and out."

Well, my most impressed spectators were a tiny dog who stood up on a seat for a better view and a young child. No, I won't make a career as a politician either, kissing babies and all as they do. This one laughed so much he had a nose discharge 😭

Then it was time for my haircut and more laughs there.

Vietnam with a population of 95 million sizes up against China whose population is roughly 15 times that of their southern neighbour and thirty times larger. Chinas main area of population is in the eastern part of the country. Tomorrow I will start walking towards there. Macao and Hong Kong should be reached in less than a month. 

By the way. The last time I contacted Spot, my tracker device company I was told that there is no service in China. I have been having a lot of trouble with it lately and suspect it's days are numbered. I will turn it on to China and see what happens. 

The Chinese government are easily offended. As a guest to the country, I will be supporting the One China Policy. For those that don't know what I'm talking about check this link: 

In summary, it means that China considers Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macao to be renegade breakaway states and it is their intention that one day they will all be back under Chinese control. I also ask you, dear followers, to be cautious about commenting on the OCP, to be honest, it's best if you don't comment on this. I have switched my Facebook settings to 'friends only' in preparation. I will repost an old post tomorrow. China is pretty determined about this policy and you may not be aware that Taiwan due to the Chinese veto does not have a seat at the UN and is not officially listed as a country. Anyone that does diplomatic business with Taiwan will have its Chinese diplomatic links severed. There are only a handful of countries that Taipei has relations with. And do you remember Trump's backtrack when he took a congrats phone call from the Taiwan leader in Dec 2016? Recently foreign airlines have been told that if they want to fly to China that the aforementioned renegade states must be ticketed as and also advertised as Chinese locations. Enough said, I have walking to do
😂

No comments:

Post a Comment