Monday, November 5, 2018

My world Walk Blog China Part Two/ #34

My world Walk Blog China Part Two/ #34

 

Arriving in Chongcheng, a suburb of the larger and more famous tourist city of Kaiping I decided to meander around the banks of the Cangjiang River and do some people watching. First I got something to eat but not without causing my usual disruption in the restaurant! Not knowing what to eat I decided to Google Translate the menu and then as you can see from the translate photo (3 and 4 )  I became even more confused than the Chinese original. As mentioned in a recent post this translation can be done by taking a photo and running a picture scan. Yes, this function seems to be a work in progress! My closed eyes, blind stab at the menu produced a leaf of cabbage which thankfully I didn't order when the waitress asked me did I really want that and nothing else! Finally, I took her recommendation and opted for fish and a pot of pork stew to which I mixed in various vegetables and meat.
Back out on the Cangjiang River I made a short four-kilometre loop and walked past several houseboats. I watched as people relaxed while others did their maintenance and household chores. 
Guangdong province with a population in the region of 110 million was once known as Canton and is one of the most densely populated areas of the world. However, most of that human mass is closer to Hong Kong and in the Pearl Delta region.
It took me by surprise! I didn't even know the Chinese were building a 55-kilometre bridge from Macao to Hong Kong. This is the worlds longest sea bridge and it crosses a bay that connects these two major hubs. It opened the day before.. I will arrive in Macao in three days on my world walk and nobody in the area even knows that a man who is walking around the world and who has previously run around the world is walking towards it! But that's fine! More than likely because I don't do the publicity ego thing that I will get an anonymous ferry to bypass this non-pedestrian bridge. It would have been nice to be allowed to walk over it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment