Monday, November 5, 2018

My World Blog/ China Part Two #36

My World Blog/ China Part Two #36

 

I stopped at a convenience store for a snack and drank a Red Bull and asked if I could sleep outside as there is no accommodation for the next thirty kilometres and camping looks a bit iffy.
Not sure how big this town or village is, with China you never know. Perhaps the same size as Ennis. China and indeed all of my South-East Asian route is safe. To be honest I worry more about Europe and the USA than here.
So I went up to the cooler for another Red Bull and what did I discover! Guinness,! And priced at a Euro and a bit for a 500ml can! I know people like Dave Pearce likes to know this kind of details 😂
It's the first time in all of Asia that I remember this in a grocery store.
Then a gang of children came over to say hello and we had great fun. There were fireworks going across the road and I pretended I was shot!
Some more students who had heard about me dropped by. One girl introduced herself as O'Neill and I said "Ah here! O'Neill and Guinness, too much fun for one day 😂" As she was leaving she corrected me and said her name is Mia. So, I declared. Journalistic licence and said. "No, it's not. It's O'Neill!"
I expect a visit from the cops tonight, let's just see. Those who followed me on my walk through the middle of the country a couple of years who will surely remember the frequent hotel visits the searches and checks on the road. Not to mention a couple of hotel refusals due to 'locals only policies' this time I have had absolutely no police attention and only one hotel refusal. It's almost like a relaxing of the rules, time will tell.
Crisps and Guinness for dinner, bread for lunch and pot noodles for breakfast. Let's just say that I had a revolting experience a couple of days ago. I'm going to spare you the horrible photos of what I witnessed at a roadside eatery and his preparation etc a couple of days ago. It was enough to make even me a vegetarian and I have given up my dog bark party piece just in case I get smacked, skinned and thrown on a wok, I can't stand the food here. I will give a brief description when I'm safely back on the mainland after Macau and Hong Kong but as I said, I will spare you the grotesque pictures 😱.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment