Wednesday, June 13, 2018

My world walk blog Australia 76- Tom Maxwell


Tom Maxwell

Wandering down the road from the Three-Ways roadhouse it took me another eight days to reach Elliot. That was a nice stretch which included a rest day in an unexpected gem of a campsite called Banka Banka. It was eighty kms, so with a late start from Three Ways I walked that segment in three easy days.
The second night I stopped at Attack Creek rest area and after I finished cooking my dinner a lovely couple called Michael and Betty invited me over for a nightcap. I mentioned that that day I had met a German man called Jennas who told me that he was a crocodile hunter. For once I was stuck for words... What do you say to a real-life European Crocodile Dundee! 
Then I took a lovely rest day in Banka Banka at the suggestion of Bob, the owner of the campsite. They had only charged me five dollars for the first night and the second was frew. I used that day to catch up on some of my writing commitments, which I'm a bit lazy about! 
On the second night a musician called Tom Maxwell who plays what he calls bush country music entertained us. He and his wife Lynn have been travelling the country for twenty years now and makes a living by stopping to do such shows. They live out of their caravan and just keep drifting on. I was delighted when he dedicated a Slim Dusty song called 'Walk a country mile' to me! 
About forty so-called grey nomad, retirees who tour the country gathered around a campfire to enjoy the show. Due to Northern Territory alcohol restrictions Bob is only permitted to serve people a limit of six drinks a day when they show him their identification. He carefully records that in the bush bar log book. Many of those around the campfire there had their own bottles of wine and grog which they brought from their RV's. It was a beautiful calm starry night and after the gig and along with other campers I cooked my dinner over the campfire. 
 I was delighted when Tom came over for a chat and mentioned that he will be starting  a nine-week residency in the iconic and historic bar called Daly Waters. I will be there soon and may even take a rest day as I keep hearing that the owner is Irish!

No comments:

Post a Comment